Lettuce Wrapped “Animal Style” Burger (Whole30, Keto, Paleo)
A Whole30 and keto version of a classic In-n-Out lettuce wrapped animal style burger. A mustard grilled patty topped with grilled onions, special sauce, tomato, and pickles all wrapped up in butter lettuce.
And although I can just go to In-N-Out whenever I feel like, I do still enjoy cooking dinner at home most nights. Replicating an In-N-Out burger is pretty easy. There are a few key components to this burger. The special sauce, the grilled onions, and the mustard grilled patties. The sauce is actually just my perfect Paleo thousand island dressing. You can find the recipe over here.
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat (ghee, coconut oil, or bacon fat)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoon mustard, any kind will do
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup perfect Paleo thousand island dressing
- 8 pickle chips
- 4 slices tomato
- 8 leaves of butter lettuce, rinsed and dried
- Melt a tablespoon of cooking fat in a medium sized skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes until caramelized. Use a lid over the skillet to help the onions cook down faster and stir occasionally to make sure they don't burn.
- Once onions are soft and caramelized, remove from the pan.
- Melt a tablespoon of cooking fat in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Using a silicone brush, baste each patty with 1/2 tablespoon of mustard. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Place 2 patties at a time in the skillet and let sear for 3-4 minutes before flipping. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- To assemble burgers, place 2 butter lettuce leaves down, then 2 pickle chips, burger patty, the caramelized onions, thousand island, tomato, and top with 2 butter lettuce leaves.